Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mamie's Apple Sauce

The Story:
Last year, a friend and I decided to make a really big deal of teaching "Apples" in the fall. We decided to have Apple Week. We had an Apple Tasting where the kids tasted a red, yellow, & green apple and then marked on a graph which apple was their favorite. Each class made an "Apple" dish to share with the other classes. My class made .... Apple Sauce. I googled recipes, but really couldn't decide just how to do it. I wanted to do it from scratch. Well, I decided to start playing in the kitchen with Apples and this recipe is the final product that I use as a language project with my students. It takes 2 afternoons, but works great for recalling skills!!! We made it for the second time this year and even made it a 3rd time for our Thanksgiving Feast!!! Even the staff now requests it! 

Ingredients:
3 to 4 Lbs. Fuji or Gala Apples
1/2 C. melted butter
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar
Apple Juice 

Instructions:
Core, Peel and Slice Apples. Spread the apples on a large bar pan (needs to have sides to catch the syrup that forms when baking). Pour butter over and sprinkle ground cinnamon & sugar to coat the tops of the apples. I usually go overboard!

Bake the apples at 350 for 20 - 25 minutes. (until golden and a thick syrup forms)

In a food processor, add the baked apples & syrup. Pulse while slowly adding Apple Juice until it is to your desired consistency (I use about a 1/2  to 1 C.)

Refrigerate overnight or eat hot with some Ice Cream!

Bon Appetit!

No comments: